Understand Your Rights and Options in Bankruptcy
Bankruptcy is a legal process to help individuals, families and businesses achieve debt relief from creditors. Through debt elimination, reorganization or reduction, consumers and businesses are able to regain financial control and restore financial independence. At Carnal & Mansfield, P.A., in St. Petersburg, Florida, we are dedicated to protecting the rights of our clients at every stage of the bankruptcy process.
The Bankruptcy Process and Your Obligations — How to File Bankruptcy
- Bankruptcy requires full and complete disclosure of your financial information. We will assist in classifying, organizing and identifying your assets, debts and income.
- We will assist in providing appropriate documentation to back up all of the information you are summarizing for the bankruptcy trustee.
- Under Chapter 7, you are entitled to complete relief and debt discharge. Qualification for Chapter 7 is based on a means test that assesses your income, debts and assets.
- Under Chapter 13, you are entitled to relief through reorganization and reduction of debts.
- Careful planning will allow you to stop creditor harassment, prevent foreclosure and protect your assets.
- Remember that while unsecured debts, including medical expenses and credit cards, are dischargeable, you cannot discharge recent income tax (less than three years old), child support, alimony, court fines, restitution or student loans.
Is Bankruptcy Right for You?
People never think they will face bankruptcy. Sometimes, life takes you by surprise by the sudden loss of employment, uninsured health issues, or other situations in which you find yourself unable to meet your financial obligations. You may even find yourself on the verge of losing your home in a foreclosure. When this happens, you need an experienced bankruptcy attorney who can guide you through the process of obtaining relief from your creditors.
Our St. Petersburg bankruptcy process attorneys can evaluate your financial situation and advise you of your rights and the remedies available under Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 bankruptcy law. Under the new bankruptcy law, it has become more complicated for consumers and businesses to file for bankruptcy relief. We will review your particular situation to determine your eligibility and the best course of action under the new laws.
Clearwater Lawyers for Debt Relief
Call 727-381-8181 or contact us by e-mail for an initial consultation with our experienced Pinellas County lawyers for debt relief. Our firm offers a 20 percent fee discount to AARP members.
We are a debt relief agency. We help people file for bankruptcy relief under the Bankruptcy Code.